Sunday, November 6, 2011

Making a Change

We all have things we want to change about ourselves.  Be healthier, skinnier, more muscular, have more patience, be less judgmental, less jealous, etc.  I think it's completely normal to want to make changes to yourself.  The hardest thing about wanting to make a change is actually doing it.  So many times we hear ourselves or someone else say "I'm trying to..." - I'm trying to eat healthy, I'm trying to get fit, I'm trying to have more patience. 

I think we say "I'm trying to..." because we expect that we'll fail.  We say we are "trying to eat healthy" because we know that at some point we're probably going to make a bad decision regarding what we put into our bodies.  Or we are "trying to be patient" because we know that a few more words or actions could put us over the edge and we'll lose our patience. 

So many times I've told myself, and others, that I'm trying to lose weight. I'm trying to be healthier. I'm trying to be happier. I'm trying to be more understanding. I'm trying to be less judgmental.  And so many other things I'm trying to do, but maybe only 'trying' puts me at a disadvantage because it's like I know subconsciously that at some point, I'll fail.  

I'm tired of failing and I'm tired of feeling bad for myself for not giving something my all because I'm scared I'll fail at it.  I think it's going to be really hard, but I want to stop "trying" to change and ACTUALLY change.  If you have something you want to change, stop "trying" and ACTUALLY change it.  Maybe one way is to stop using the term 'trying'.  Instead of trying to do something, say what we are or are not doing.  I am healthier. I am happier. I am not judging. I think we can make ourselves believe what we are or are not instead of making it easy on ourselves to fail by just trying. It'll take motivation, being self-assured, maybe second guessing yourself a little bit and making decisions that maybe you aren't used to making, being HARD on yourself, but I can bet you one thing, it'll be worth it in the end. 

Via Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment