Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Brown Butter Balsamic Tilapia

This is my go-to dinner when I can't think of anything else to make.  It is originally a Rachel Ray recipe for Tilapia with Balsamic Browned Butter and Creamy Farfalle, but since I'm doing low-carb, I can't have the Farfalle (although we have made it before and it is good) and I have also made a few changes to make this a bit healthier.  I paired this with sauteed asparagus (which I'll show how to make too) and glazed the whole dish with the balsamic glaze. Everyone we have served this to has LOVED it - Robert's aunt doesn't like fish but really enjoyed this dish, it's just delicious!




Ingredients:
Tilapia filet (we use the flash frozen kind from Costco - just as good as fresh!)
Oil for 'frying' - I use coconut oil - it's super healthy and tasty to boot!
1 tbsp coconut flour
Salt & pepper for fish seasoning
2 tbsp salted butter
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar


*If you are making this for two, for the balsamic glaze it calls for 1/4 cup balsamic. I love the glaze and always make a veggie that would pair well, so I usually make more (hence the 3 tbsp - and if you didn't know, there are 4 tbsp in 1/4 cup [16 tbsp in a cup]) so if you are just going to use it on the fish, you can go with 2 tbsp for one, or 1/4 cup for two




Directions:
Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides



Coat both sides of the fish with the coconut flour - I use a sieve, as it provides for great coverage and allows for less flour waste from a dredge.  Coconut flour isn't as cheap as regular flour, so less waste is good!


Melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet


When the oil is melted and the skillet is hot, add in the fish


Cook the fish on both sides until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side


While the fish is cooking, I go ahead and start my vegetable, which was asparagus this time.  To find where the trim the 'woody' ends off, I break one or two to see how far down the stalk they snap, then cut the rest to that size.


Add a tablespoon or two of oil (olive, canola, coconut...your choice) in your skillet on medium-high heat until it looks watery (that's how you know it is an ideal heat for cooking) but not smoking - that's too hot.

Throw in the asparagus and give it a toss or two, then season it with salt and pepper.  Let it sit and cook, tossing a few times, for about 4 or 5 minutes.  You know it's done with it is a brighter and deeper green and it's slightly browned.


In another skillet (I used the same one I cooked the asparagus in, just wiped it out) you'll start the browned butter.  Melt the 2tbsp of butter over medium to slightly over medium heat.  Below you will see the steps in this process - it's easy and works itself, but it takes patience :)

The butter will melt and bubble, don't turn down the heat but keep cooking the butter until browned - like the end picture.  Once it gets to be this color, it's finished browning - much more than this will burn and give the glaze a funky taste.


Add the balsamic vinegar and whisk whisk whisk!


The blended butter and balsamic will bubble and bubble, you want to reduce the liquid by about half, until it is thick.  One key I use is being able to see the bottom of the pan when I'm whisking - if the liquid quickly covers up your last whisk, it's not done.  You can also swirl the pan and see how fast the liquid moves.


I plated my fish on top of the asparagus, but however you choose to serve this is perfect, then pour the balsamic glaze over the whole dish, or just the fish - whichever :)  (I'm not kidding, I LOVE this stuff)


Really, I probably make this once a week - it is just that good. It's tangy, sweet and crunchy - perfect! I promise!


Ingredients:
Tilapia filet (we use the flash frozen kind from Costco - just as good as fresh!)
Oil for 'frying' - I use coconut oil - it's super healthy and tasty to boot!
1 tbsp coconut flour
Salt & pepper for fish seasoning
2 tbsp salted butter
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar


Directions:
1. Season fish with salt and pepper on both sides
2. Coat fish with coconut flour (using a sieve)
3. On medium-high heat, cook fish for about 4 minutes on both sides, until golden brown
4. While fish cooks, sautee asparagus in oil over medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes
5. Brown butter over medium heat
6. Add balsamic vinegar to browned butter and whisk together until thick, about 3-4 minutes
7. When everything is done, pour the balsamic glaze over the fish (and anything else you'd like) and serve!

Nutrition is based on one serving (according to the ingredients above)


No comments:

Post a Comment